Tufts University Elephant
Jumbo was for many years one of the stars of P.T. Barnum’s circus. After Jumbo died in 1885, his hide was carefully preserved and stuffed and then Barnum, a trustee at and benefactor of Tufts University, donated it to the school. Eventually Jumbo became the school mascot. He stood proudly in Barnum Hall until he was destroyed in the fire that engulfed the building in 1975. Nowadays Jumbo is represented by a 12-foot-long architectural sculpture we created that greets all as they enter Dowling Hall.